What are Portugal’s ‘Golden Visas?’
The Golden Visa Programme launched by the Portuguese Authorities in October 2012 is a fast track for foreign investors from non-EU countries to obtain a fully-valid residency permit in Portugal (“Golden Visa”).
Under the Golden Visa programme, non-EU citizens simply need to carry out one of the investments set out in the law to qualify to obtain a residency permit in Portugal. This residency permit will allow the investor to enter and/or live in Portugal and to travel freely within the vast majority of European countries (Schengen space).
Aimed at attracting foreign investment to Portugal, the Golden Visa is a very straightforward and flexible programme, with simple and clear legal requirements. With extremely reduced minimum stay requirements, the Golden Visa is clearly one of the most attractive residency programs for investors in the world.
What types of investments are allowed under the Golden Visa rules?
The following types of investment qualify for the Golden Visa programme:
- Acquisition of property in the amount of or greater than € 500,000
- Transfer of funds above € 1,000,000 or more
- Creation of at least 10 (ten) jobs in Portugal
For how long is the Golden Visa valid?
Once issued, the Golden Visa will be valid for an initial period of 1 (one) year and then will be renewed for subsequent periods of 2 years.
For more information on Portugal’s Golden Visa Program, please see http://goldenvisa-portugal.com/FAQ.html
Browse helpful links from independent sources about investing in Portugal.
- SERENA WELLNESS PROJECT PDF
- SERENA WELLNESS PROJECT VIDEO
- THE PORTUGUESE NON-HABITUAL TAX RESIDENT (NHR) REGIME (ENGLISH) – 2017.05.08
- THE PORTUGUESE NON-HABITUAL TAX RESIDENT (NHR) REGIME (FRENCH) – 2017.05.24
- ERNST YOUNG – ATTRACTIVENESS SURVEYS
- PwC – PORTUGAL – ATTRACTIVE TAX REGIME – 2015.01.26
- RPBA GLOBAL VISA NEWSLETTER (ENGLISH)
- RPBA GLOBAL VISA NEWSLETTER (FRENCH)
- READ HOW: PORTUGAL IS THE TOP CHOICE FOR RETIREMENT IN EUROPE
- PORTUGAL TOURISM INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES – 2015.03.23
- WHY INVEST IN PORTUGAL?
- ERNST YOUNG 2014 PORTUGAL ATTRACTIVENESS SURVEY
- GARRIGUES – CBRE – THE PROPERTY HANDBOOK
- GOVERNMENT OF PORTUGAL – WHY INVEST IN PORTUGAL – 2014.01.07
- CUSHMAN & WAKEFIELD – GUIDE TO PROPERTY INVESTMENT IN PORTUGAL
- URIA MENENDEZ – CUSHMAN & WAKEFIELD – GUIDE TO PROPERTY INVESTMENT IN PORTUGAL